Thursday, August 4, 2011

What's Next?!

Hi guys!
     I apologize for being MIA from the blog scene for a bit. I just wanted to take the full time around Miss Florida to prepare, fully enjoy every minute of the actual week, and then to reflect and relax afterwards! I wanted to share a little bit of my experience for those of you who could not be there. Also, I wanted to recognize those of you who have been part of my journey, because it truly does take a village.
     I could not have been more satisfied by my experience at Miss Florida for several reasons.
1.) I had the best team of support I could have ever asked for- Donald, Juan, Elizabeth and the Fechtel family, Mom, Dad, Kara, Justin, "Aunt" Sharon, Aunt Theresa and the girls, Grandma Ruth, Grandpa Harry, Jodi, and Jon thank you for every minute of time you dedicated to to helping me achieve my dream. My dream was to end my career in the Miss America Organization with no regrets. That was achieved even more than I expected. Although I would have loved to be Miss Florida, I know that God has a different job for me, he has another place I am needed even more that in the job of Miss Florida. I am trusting that the universe will show me why this is in its own time. In the mean time, I am having too much fun exploring my new with no plans! I know Kristina will do a beautiful job representing our incredible state.
2.) The girls in the Miss Florida program made my week one full of belly laughs, inside jokes, and a feeling of authentic companionship. I have never felt like I had made so many friends in one week. I had a bond with the Florida girls like I never expected to have. I am so lucky to have connected with so many people that week.
3.) I had absolutely no regrets. No regrets about where I chose to compete, no regrets about the choices I made regarding preparation, no regrets about the way I chose to represent myself, and no regrets about putting my whole heart into believing in my own capabilities. Everything truly fell into place like it should.
4.) I was shocked and honored to win the Miss America Community Service Award. For those of you who don't know, I followed my heart, against all common sense, and changed my platform to eating disorders awareness and prevention. I never thought in a million years I would be recognized for the work I have done. I suppose the lesson in this is that when you choose to do something you're passionate about, the work you can do is limitless. I have no intention to cease my work with the cause now that I am done competing, because for me it has nothing to do with pageants, Miss America, or what I'm supposed to do as a titleholder. To me, it has become a passion for life, and that's truly what this program is about.

I never felt stronger or more sure of myself going into Miss Florida and had the experience of a lifetime. Thank you to every single person in and outside of the Miss America Organization who has given a piece of your heart to me. You know who you are, but just to list a few:
Katherine Cain
Josh and Joe
Barbara Helm
Princess Anna, Kate, and Dede
Princess Emma
Princess Kaitlyn
Kim Silverwood
Princess Leah
Re-ce Rodenberry
All of the Fechtels
Ashley
Stephanie Ziajka
Laura Beard
Leanna Ross
Kelly Hawkins
Kristina Janola
Allison Kreiger Walsh
Laura McKeeman
Chloe Lupo
Darla
Alex Swoyer
Nicole Pollard
Katie Stam
Claire Buffie
Megan Meadors
Michael Nash
Frank and Aren
Jim and Joy
Phil Arthur
the Thomas family
Aunt Kathy
Sharon and Joe McKibben
The Von Derau's
Nathan
Grueme
Casey
(all kids at the pool)
Lynne Dalton
Kathleen McDonald and Johanna Kandel (both inspirations to me everyday)
Laura
Nicole
Sophie
Erika
Rachel
BreAnn
Sable
Lauren
Christa
Dad
Kara
Mom
Justin
Donald and Juan
Every one of my Sweetheart, Miss Indiana, and Miss Florida sisters.

To anyone I haven't mentioned, please know I appreciate every pageant you came to watch, every encouraging word you gave to me, every tear you might have wiped away, and every dream you let me share, even as they kept getting bigger and more ridiculous, you still believed it was possible with me. There is no greater gift than your time.

I love each and every one of you more than I can say. I can only hope that I get to give in each of your lives a fraction of what you have brought to mine.

We both know this is far from the end of my Miss America journey, my involvement is just making a slight shift in the way it looks :)

Here's to the next six months as your Miss Orange County. I'm so excited to see what's next.

In sincerest gratitude,
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment